Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Birth of Rachel Elizabeth!

So, I realise that alot has happened in the last month or so and I haven't updated. So I may post several 'blogs' on different topics! This is a birth story so if are squimish or don't want to hear about birth stop reading NOW!

After visiting Kelsey and Lisa at the birth center on Thursday 7th August, I was very encouraged to find that Rachel (well, we didn't know it was Rachel then!) was at + 1 station and I was 3cm dilated. They were very sweet, encouraged me through some tears and promised to pray for me.

At 2am I woke up with contractions 10 minutes apart, and they continued for several hours, Josh and I both thought Rachel was coming soon. We walked ALOT, ate Indian food etc and still no change. Kelsey came to see what was going on and found that although I was not in labor, I had gone to 4cm since she saw me 24hrs before and was effaced more.

These contractions continued saturday, sunday, and by monday night, I had decided that nothing was happening imminently. At 11:40ish pm Josh called me from work to see how things were going. One guy was off work and the other might need to leave since his little boy had a high fever. I reassured Josh that I was not going into labor that night so he needn't worry. In fact I would probablt be pregnant forever.

I forgot to mention that I had battled with Josh over whether Pam (Josh's mom!) needed to spend the night 'just in case' while he was working. I lost, not that I don't love Pam to peices, I just didn;t think I needed to be babysat hehe.

I was just falling to sleep a around midnight when I felt a gush, and stood up and knew my water had definately broken. I can honestly say that this was one of the most exciting moments of my life - I was going into labor on my own, ( I was worried about having to be induced again!) and my baby was on its way!

I called Kelsey, and she told me to go to bed, try sleep and call when the contractions started. Josh arrived home around 12:40 just as the contractions started coming about 4 minutes apart. So Kelsey, Lisa, Heidi and Lisa headed over. Kelsey arrived just as I didn't think I could hadn't the contractions without some guidance, I prayed through every contraction, talking to God and asking Him to help me relax, stay calm and to encourage me. My contractions were all in my back, so kelsey had me drape over the birthing ball which was sooo much better. She massaged my back, and she's REALLY good at it, I told Josh that she was better than him so he rubbed my head and helped me drink water instead!

I remember in the birth class that Lisa had said that husbands just need to keep telling their wifes ' You are doing so well, this baby is going to be here really soon!' So, when Kelsey and Josh kept saying that, I really didn;t believe them, I thought they were just saying that to encourage me. Turns out they were right.

We made it upstairs, I was 8cm and baby at a +3, and thats when things got really hard, I thought things like 'I wonder if what happened in Freaky Friday is really possible the someone else could do it for me' .... 'I'm crazy, I'm really crazy. Why am I doing this' ..... 'What are the logistics of getting to the hospital for drugs?' I decided that I couldn't get through these contractions in a car, so I figured I was stuck at home. I knew if I lost control, it would hurt more and be harder so I just kept talking to God.

I finally could feel babies head really low, and figured I give pushing a try, even though I didn't have an urge, but I discovered that it felt ALOT better than not pushing, so I carried on. I was very tired, so I did lots of little pushes which turned out to be a good thing since it helped prevent tearing alot with Kelsey working hard with warm clothes and oil to prevent also.

Kelsey told me she could see dark hair and I was in shock because Esther was bald and blonde! I saw her hair and touched her little head and was encouraged. Soon out she came, caught by Josh and I just held her and forgot to even see if my baby was a boy or a girl!!!

Once I knew, I looked at her and told Josh, 'This is Rachel' and he agreed that it was indeed! It was so exciting to have a suprise baby and to not have settled on a name - Just to be able to name her when we saw her. I think I'll always want to do it that way in the future.

Unforunately, soon i began to hemmorage, but fortunately, Lisa, Kelsey, Heidi and Peggy, knew what to do and impressed me so much - they are not only great at delivering babies but they are very highly trained and efficient when dealing with an emergency. They had pitocin on hand, and soon slowed everything down. I had an internal tear so they got that sewn up. Also made me drink the Chlorophyll, but I didn't get away with just the 8oz they had said... with the blood loss I had to drink the whole bottle, it was really disgusting and the glass is still green tinged!

Rachel nursed right away - she new exactly what to do! It was so lovely to have her cuddled up in bed with me, nursing, in my own bed. After a little while we weighed her and she was 7lbs 15ozs and 19 3/4 inches long. So sweet and precious. I am so excited to be blessed with 2 little girls, I am excited to see them as they grow up as sisters!

Kelsey had got a call to another birth, but Peggy stayed with me for several hours to make sure me and Rachel were doing well. She sat with me and we had a lovely time talking.

Having a homebirth is definately a wonderful and beautiful experience, while its true that natural childbirth is hard, it is painful, the benefits to mom, baby and the whole family are so worth it.

I could see a big difference in Rachel - she came out at her own time and pace, and drug free which I feel made her calmer, more alert and made nursing easy for her. The first week of her life she spent being held close, either in bed with me, by daddy or by a friend or family member. It seems to me that it is where they belong, it seems so traumatic for a baby to go from being inside their mother to being, like Esther was, laid naked in a plastic bassinest under a bright light with no touch.

It was better for me, I was in a comfy bed of my own, with my husband able to sleep next to me. Esther did not have to be away from me for several days, she got to be home when the baby was born, and stay at home. I think that contributed to the tender feels and love she has for Rachel, other than learn to share mommy she hasn't seen Rachel as a rival. She knew Kelsey and all the midwives and knew that there was a connection with the baby in mommy's tummy and they had been to our house before, so when she saw them it was familar and made sense. The baby was born at home, so it made sense to her that this is where the baby belonged.

Kelsey came and visited me at home after 2 days, and then Lisa and Kelsey came out to a 2 week visit. I cannot express how grateful I am that I did not have to try and get out the house with a toddler and tiny baby so soon.

I have come to feel like the midwives at family birth services are family, and I am going to miss seeing them! They have been friends, they have prayed for me and spent time talking to me and encouraging me. They also were the people who helped me have a birth which I can truely say was the most beautiful experience of my life.

No comments: